Wednesday, July 14, 2010

New School Move in Day

Today Natalie helped me move into my new school. (Thanks mom and dad for doing all the heavy lifting and moving to save my back!) She carried boxes and rolled the rolling cart through the school (once she made it past the door!) She was such a great helper today. The one complication to our move in was the elevator. Yes, the school is multilevel and, of course, I'm on the second floor. We had flashbacks of moving me to the fourth floor of my college dorm many years ago. Although I remember not having a good place to park that day and fighting the entire dorm to get in the elevator.

For the first couple of trips up the elevator we had sole posession of the key that made the elevator work. After the next trip back home and then to school there were others moving in too so we had to share the key. Luckily it all worked out and I'm all moved in. Now I'll just need to spend some time sorting things out - especially the books and organizing the wonderful closet. Natalie will not complain about going back - she loves it there and says she's ready to start kinder this year. I think that statement came after she saw the brand new kinder playground. I hate to break the news to her, but kinders don't spend the day out there on the playground. She'll have lots of work ahead of her because, after all, they must start preparing for the TAKS test (soon to be STAAR test) early!

Now to express my jubilation over my new school:
I've never taught at a brand new school before where EVERYTHING is brand spanking new - desks, chairs, computer, walls, shelves, filing cabinets, etc... I am used to rust, dustbunnies, broken things, no storage, cleaning out other people's trash they left behind...so this is unbelievable to have all NEW things and a clean room! Plus, the added bonus is that there is a HUGE walk in closet. No longer will my stuff have to sit out and visible in the classroom taking up space. It ALL fits in the closet! There's even a sink with storage above and below it. I should have taken pictures, but I was too busy trying to pick my jaw up off the floor the entire time. I'll get pictures posted soon.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a brand new classroom and for good helpers! Post pictures when you have it all organized! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't all be organized and decorated until mid August. We're not even allowed to decorate yet - we can only move our stuff in and do some preliminary arrangement of furniture. I think there are going to be some strict decorating rules since it's a new school.

    ReplyDelete